Saturday, February 5, 2011

FRIDAY AND SATURDAY

Surgery ended Thursday evening around 10:00pm - Ron was stable.

FRIDAY EARLY MORNING:  1:00am Ron had a terrible bout - actually - we came very close to losing him.  His belly was hard,  blood pressure dropped 42/25, his pulse rate soared to over 130; a large group of people came running.  Nurses were shouting orders, "CALL THE DOCTOR NOW!!!!" - I heard someone say they thought is was a bleed - and I was hustled back to the waiting room.  My family had gone home - it had been a long day - and we were sure things were going as they should.  After a few calls, Libby was on her way back to the hospital, Michael was trying to get out the door - approximately 1 hour later the ICU nurse  found me - she told me she's knows I was scared and so was she.  Ended up, after blood tests, no bleed; combination of pain medication, general anethesia and dehydration - Ron was holding his own.  Libby slept in the waiting room after making me a 'college made sleeping crib' - I couldn't sleep - so I spent the night in Ron's room.

FRIDAY MORNING: Ron was still heavily sedated and fighting the breathing tube; he was restless, both arms strapped to keep him from pulling out the endless tubes and wires. He had a large IV in his neck, left hand an arterial line, two stomach drains, right hand 2 IVs, catheter, heart monitor, NG tube in his nose, a skinny line that ran in and down through his heart to measure pressure......10 bags of IV medications.



The charge nurse talked me into going home for a nap; Michael came and sat with Ron, and I know it was good for both of them. 

Finally the breathing tube was removed and Ron could communicate; sleepy, dazed and confused, but he was able to hold a short conversation with Michael. They sat Ron up in a chair for a few minutes; he was beginning to wake up enough to know he was in pain.



WARNING - GRAPHIC PHOTO



Libby and Anthony came by to visit and by the afternoon, he joked a little; introduing Libby to the nurses as his husband.........then said, "No, this is my sweetheart daughter."

Early evening Ron slept for a couple of hours - it was good to see him sleeping and quiet after a day of struggling with the restraints and the breathing tube.

I was able to reserve a room in the guest suite area - small little 'hotel' rooms offered to family members.  So with Ron resting so well - at 10:00pm we said our goodnights - up to the suite; I set the alarm clock, enjoyed a piece of coconut cake and milk saved from lunch........and I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.
SATURDAY MORNING

What is that grumpy Sesame Street character's name?  Ron had a good night, but is grumpy about EVERYTHING.  Every person who comes in the room - he asks them for water.  No liquids - if he were to drink and become nauseous he could tear those delicate sutures.  Ron is on huge doses of steroids - the cause of his short nerves and grouchy demeanor.  As the days progress, the steroids will be reduced.

He sat in a chair for 30 minutes, had a breathing treatment, the large arterial IVs were removed....AND we were just moved to the transplant floor - 6th floor - room 11.

4 comments:

  1. Keeping Ron and your family in my prayers. Speedy and complete recovery.

    Emma from HW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Emma - we have been floaded with prayers - he had a rough first few hours - I was really afraid I would lose him. The telephone chain was alerted - and people were praying everywhere. GOD is SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you and Ron. I remember waking up with at least a dozen tubes in me. They wouldn't let me have water either. On day 3, they allowed me a tiny piece of ice. The steroids make you very thirsty and mess up your mind. My surgeon only had me on them for 7 days. If you really need it, OK, otherwise ask them how soon they could be discontinued. I'm sure they want him to do his breathing exercises, as pneumonia is what they worry about. They'll make him sit up at every opportunity for the same reason. Be well. **David**

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that must have really been terrifying. I am so glad that things turned around and that he wasn't bleeding. I am sorry I missed all this, but I haven't been on the computer very much in the past week.
    I am so happy for Ron and you and your family. I am keeping you in my prayers. Thanks for letting me know that Ron finally had his transplant. I was so happy to hear this.

    ReplyDelete