Thursday, March 3, 2011

1 month ago

One month ago, at this very moment, Ron was on the operating table receiving his new liver.  One month ago, a family was planning a funeral.  Those are the facts.  Because of the way things lined up, our lives met, crossed and were changed forever.

I've been thinking about the letter we'll 'try' and write - the letter to the donor's family.  The transplant team suggests waiting for 3-6 months before contacting the family.  What can we say?  I know I'm searching my heart for the words.

We are grateful.

1 comment:

  1. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to write. Having done so made me feel better, because letting the donor family know how much their donation affected my life and so many others. The New England Organ Bank gave me and other transplant patients information on ideas for a letter. They had me send my letter to the donor family through them. In other words, they (NEOB)took my letter, then sent a letter to the donor family, telling them there was a letter waiting. Now, it's been a year and a half and there has been no reply. My liver came from a young person,so I can't imagine the sheer pain his family must be enduring.It would be nice to find out they'd received my letter.

    ReplyDelete