Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Smooth as a baby's behind.........

When we visited the doctor Monday, I had lots of questions, and although at the time, I felt like they were kinda' answered (not really, but I was trying to be positive), as Tuesday night rolled into Wednesday morning, I realized I needed some clarification.

I'm pretty sure transplant doctors see things in black and white - and you know what? I'm glad! Imagine the driven and talented spirit required to be a transplant doctor. The average liver transplant can take up to 7-9 hours; I mean, really, can you imagine the skill and patience required.

I remember the first time I met Dr. S and shook his hand; small delicate hands and fingers, and skin as smooth as a baby's behind........plus he's not the tallest doctor I've ever met - just the right height for leaning over an operating table for hours at a time.

I like him just fine, just the way he is.

I digress.

So I went right to the horse's mouth and called Cindy, our transplant coordinator. Cindy's job is to keep the patients up to date - which includes...... lots of hand holding.

I told Cindy I really couldn't pin Dr. S down - at Ron's last doctors appointment (Monday); she said he's not easy to pin down.........this is how it went:

Me: We really want to know Ron's prognosis. What if he doesn't get a liver soon. Is Ron going to die before he receives a liver.

Cindy: Pam, let me talk you off the edge!
You know I'll be frank with you.
Ron's life expectancy (heart stood still) is until he receives his liver.
Pam, this is a horrible disease, the patients become very sick; we're watching his labs and if he didn't have the liver cancer exception, his MELD score would only be 8 (which is so low, if Ron didn't have cancer, he wouldn't be on the transplant list at all - I can't imagine - because of his cancer his MELD score is 25 - he's sick, thin, sometimes confused - all due to the liver disease). I know we keep telling you 'any minute' now....but this is the first time EVER, that we've had a patient go from a MELD score of 22 to 25 without receiving a transplant.

Cindy continues: Ron is number 1 at Piedmont, but we share our list with Emory (I checked Emory today - no patients waiting for a liver with a MELD of 25+), but if either of the hospitals receive a Status 1 Liver Patient (someone who is hospitalized with less than 24 hours to live) and the liver is a match, then Ron is bumped back (which of course, we're known all along - that's the way it should be). Plus we're waiting for a blood type A liver (match), which lately, the blood type has been O.

We talked about his latest malady (fluid retention, restricted diet, stomach issues....you know, pretty routine health stuff for us right now).

Cindy to the rescue!

Cindy's final words - a common theme at our house, "Hang in there, it's coming!"

I called Ron with the news, I think he feels some weight off his shoulders; I know I feel 'cautiously' relieved.
Today Sheri (Palmetto High School) our 'go to girl' sent out an email to my classmates - asking for words of support - and there's been a flood of well wishers - I tell you what - we really need it now.

Thank you for your continued prayers and support.....thank you for holding us up on days when we feel like we're drowning - as Sheri says, for being our virtual 'floaties'.

No comments:

Post a Comment