Monday, January 24, 2011

Mellow Mushroom Pizza with a Side of Liver

Libby and I decided we'd go with Ron to see his transplant doctor today. I had a battery of questions for the doctor - I planned to pin him down and receive some definite answers. This is how it went.

Me: What is Ron's prognosis?
Dr.: He on the top of the list.
Me: Yes, I know, but what if he doesn't get a liver?
Dr.: Well, I don't have a crystal ball, but he's doing okay. His MELD score will go up to 29 (actually I think it's 28, but who am I to argue with a doctor) the score will go up in a few months (actually in February, but again, what do I know)
Me: Are there any support groups?
Dr.: Yes, we have some here, you must come (yes, they sure do - at 11:00am - I mean don't most spouses of liver patients work)
Me: What about driving? Ron was told last week that he shouldn't drive.
Dr.: With all the fluid in his belly it becomes difficult to drive, like when a woman is pregnant (I guess pregnant women don't drive)

The best thing about the appointment was Mellow Mushroom Pizza. I guess I'm doing better than yesterday - nothing was funny yesterday.

Ron and I talked it over and we're on the up-beat side again. Ron has an appointment Thursday for an MRI (on his way to a MELD score of 28 or 29). Another appointment next Thursday for blood work and results from MRI.

Like Ron told the nurse - "Maybe I'll have a liver by next week"......what a novel idea!

Thanks to everyone for getting me through yesterday - it was a very dark day!

2 comments:

  1. So very glad to see you are doing better today. 8)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam,
    I just wanted you to know that I am keeping up with Ron's progress via your fb posts and the blog. I don't often comment but please know that ya'll have been in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete