Friday, April 1, 2011

180 Degrees

He's come a long way; I've been reintroduced Ron Cook.  It's been years since Ron's had so much energy....he sees some little detail that needs doing and he takes care of it. 

Okay, maybe he has taken it a bit far - one night this past week he was up at 2:00am cleaning door knobs with Lysol wipes (when your immune system is all but missing - you tend to have germs on your mind).

Another night he was up cleaning bathrooms at 2:45am - a blessing yes, but is he getting enough rest?

He sleeps about 5 hours a night, keep in mind - pre-transplant he was up every 45 minutes running to the bathroom from all the fluid retention and diuretics.  Anyway, I don't think he's getting enough sleep - I mean, 5 hours used to be one of his afternoon naps before he'd wake up long enough to eat dinner - then back to bed for the night (or 45 minutes snoozes). 

Ron went back to work - weeks before released............  It is suggested 3-6 months before returning to work......Ron went back 7 weeks after surgery.  I must come to his defense on this one.  Ron is a salesman; he sits at his desk and sells all day long - so when he said he was ready to go back to work - he went.  He comes home every afternoon refreshed and excited about work.

With Ron's new found life, I have to be honest, it's not been easy - he's more sure of himself, looks to me less to do things for him; he wants to be in charge (I'm not used to that, it's a give and take, and I'm trying to let go more).

I'm proud of Ron, I'm proud he didn't give up and didn't let me give up.......at times (silently) we weren't sure he was going to make it.  He loves his family - and his family loved him through it all.

2 comments:

  1. This is my kind of April's Fool "joke." I know how tough this has all been, but in the end it's worth it. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks David. I think it's amazing that Ron is doing so great. Simply amazing. Thanks for your support. I hope all is well with you. Pam

    ReplyDelete